The Drill Down Technique is all about Breaking complex problems down into progressively smaller parts.
- Start by writing the problem down on the lefthand side of a large sheet of paper.
- Write down the points that make up the next level of detail on the problem a little to the right.
- For each of these points, repeat the process.
- Keep on drilling down into points until you fully understand the factors contributing to the problem.
- Drill Down helps you to break a large and complex problem down into its component parts, so that you can develop plans to deal with these parts.
- It also shows you which points you need to research in more detail.
- It can be used in conjunction with the 5 Why’s Techniques to ensure that you investigate each aspect of the problem systematically.